Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Faces of the Popular Culture


Hi everyone, I had some troubles finishing this reading, but I succeed at the end. I found this article really interesting and really complete, it described many aspects of the Latin America’s popular culture. Although it was very long with plenty of information, there are many aspects that weren’t covered because Latin America is huge. I come from Mexico and I consider that there many aspects that were missing for this article, but I do agree with the syncretism of traditional culture with the modern culture,. Really can’t talk about Brazil, Peru or Argentina but I definitely can talk about Mexico my beloved country that I miss to much so let start.

It’s a true fact that even though I’m Mexican born and bred I don’t have any of the indigenous culture, I’ve only read about it and I found it really interesting, all their gods, pyramids, calendars, beliefs, royalty, etc. I think that the only tradition from indigenous people that is conserved in my house is to eat with pepper lots of pepper and tortilla every single lunch.

Then the Spaniards came to Mexico and colonized and leave behind them a complete new bunch of traditions that came to be part of our culture first the religion I consider myself as an active catholic. I go to church every Sunday, and respect the catholic calendar. With the mestizaje new traditions were raised like the charreria considered the Mexican national sport for many years even before the soccer came with the English people. In my family horse and bull raids are considered normal activities on special weekends when the whole family go to the ranch. 

Then the English people arrived to Pachuca, Hidalgo for mining and in their free time they played soccer and ate pastries, now the the Pachuca football team the ‘’Tuzos’’ is the oldest club and one of the traditional food in Pachuca is the Pastes that are the pastries that the English used to eat.

Now with time the Americans arrived and they’re still in Mexico helping to shape this new culture, oddly the sport played in my family even though I’m Mexican isn’t soccer is American Football, my grandpa played, my dad played and all my brothers played as well.
Well now I think that my family is a living example of the popular culture in Latin America, a complete syncretism between indigenous, Spanish, American and Lebanese culture that shaped this new popular culture and it can be in our every day activities, food, and the way we treat each other in the family.

I’ll see you all in class!

5 comments:

  1. It was really interesting to see all the examples that you listed and that represent aspecst of the popular culture of Mexico. I think that is great to see how as John said in class there is a mutual exchange between all the parties involved in all the different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really refreshing to see someone include elements of their life and culture in an intellectual response to an article. Especially if you can include things about Latin America. The way you included patriotism, daily activities, special events and occasions, memories of your family, religious devotion/spirituality, and a sense of genealogy are all part of what is popular culture. It seems that others have included and focused on this idea of a mixing or blending and it seems to be an important thing to understand in relation to a lot of Latin American countries. I thought i was truly relevant to think about how historically something used to represent an area or a person, and then another thing is added to it, and that new mixture or new thing comes to represent that place. It really shows how history and the development of culture is a process and seemingly always changing. So you know how to ride a horse and corral bulls? I'm impressed...Thanks for the account and examples of fusion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    It must have been interesting for you to read this article and note the similarities you have experienced in your own life and culture. I think that often, we take our own cultures for granted and it is hard for us to see the unique elements and elements of fusion that define the roots of our culture because it is something that we are so used to and so much a part of. That is why I think it is interesting to read an article like this that helps us get a better understanding of how certain elements of our culture came to be sculpted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola!

    tienes razón en que a pesar de que el artículo es largo, faltan muchas cosas de agregar respecto a la cultura, por ejemplo en México, claro contar cada uno de los detalles requeriría quizá muchas páginas.
    La charrería es un deporte nacional y pues también una clasra muestra del meztizaje que se dio a partir de la colonización...
    México es un país de mucho colorido, con muchas tradiciones que compratir y creo que eso tiene un gran valor, por algo la cultura lationoamericana es conocida alrrededor del mundo.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your point of view on this topic is extremely valid and wish we could have more discussions that would include this kind of information. It was awesome to hear about the traditions and routine that your family maintains in Mexico and on the flip side the ones that you don't partake in. I'm eager to read more connections!

    ReplyDelete